Public Speaking #2

Hello, y’all what is up this is my public speaking from 2023, (just so you know my speech is about oceans.

Introduction

Did you know that the ocean covers 71 percent of the earth’s surface? Pause for 2. Now you’re probably thinking, Kayla can you be a little more pacific? No, I am being as specific as I can be. I will wow you with crazy creatures, trash islands, and last but not least the awesomely awesome ocean areas. Let’s dive in a little deeper to learn more about the OCEAN.

Point 1

When I say the word ocean you probably think of crab, fish, dolphin, shark, octopus, seahorse, seal, walrus, narwhal ETC.ETC.but I know some creatures that you have probably never heard of like a Vaquita. Vaquita’s are also called Phocoena sinus. Vaquitas are only found in the Gulf of California in Baja California, Mexico. These species are extremely endangered and very rare.Pause for 2. To give you an image, Vaquitas look like a small dolphin. Now I have another one you have probably never heard of and it’s called a Pacific footballfish, kind of a funny name and before you ask NO it is not a fish that plays football. It is just a fish that resembles a football in shape and size. If you did not already guess the Pacific football fish is located in the Pacific Ocean.Which is the ocean that has the most trash. That brings us to the next point.

Point 2

Let’s explore how much trash gets dumped into the ocean per year.A calculated 8 Million tons of plastic enter our oceans every year. Pause for 3 shocked expressions. There are 5.25 trillion pieces of plastic debris estimated to be in our oceans. That could fit two hundred ninety-one billion six hundred sixty-six million six hundred sixty-six thousand six hundred sixty-seven humans. There is so much trash in our oceans I don’t even know where to start. Did you know that there are actually 5 TRASH ISLANDS IN OUR OCEANS!!!! Garbage patches or trash islands are large areas of the ocean where litter, fishing gear, and other debris known as marine debris – collects. They are formed by rotating ocean currents called “gyres.” You can think of them as big whirlpools that pull objects in. There is one in the Indian Ocean, two in the Atlantic Ocean, and two in the Pacific Ocean. The most commonly known trash island is in the Pacific Ocean. It is called the GREAT PACIFIC GARBAGE PATCH. I’m pretty sure you have heard about this one if not you learn something new every day. How do these trash islands affect our world? Well, Trash islands like loose trash pollute our oceans but if a pod of whales comes by a trash island they could get seriously injured. Please use the 3 R’s Reduce Reuse Recycle and save our oceans!

Point 3

We live in Ottawa. We are not even touching one of the 5 oceans but if we lived in Nova Scotia we would be touching the Atlantic Ocean, if we lived in California we would be touching the Pacific Ocean. Here are a few fun facts about the Oceans. Number one, The Arctic Ocean. Which places does the Arctic Ocean touch? The Arctic Ocean touches Canada, Greenland, Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Russia, and the United States. Now you’re probably asking what about the other oceans. Well, let’s talk about the Atlantic Ocean, which places does the Atlantic Ocean touch? Bahamas, Belize, Bermuda, Canada, Costa Rica, Greenland (DEN), Guatemala, and Honduras. Those are only the places in North and Central America. Time for the Indian Ocean! Which places does it touch? Here is your answer which is slightly shorter than the last one. It touches South Asia, the Middle East, the Eastern Coast of Africa, and the islands dotting the ocean from Sri Lanka in the east to the Comoros archipelago in the west. What about the Pacific Ocean? Let’s name some more places. Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaragua. Pretty similar to the Atlantic. Last but not least we have the Southern Ocean. Which countries does it touch? Just a few countries and the lucky countries are Australia, Chile, and South Africa.

Conclusion

Now that you have raised your head above the surface and learned about some of the Craziest creatures in the ocean, The terrible trash islands in the oceans, And some of the countries that touch the ocean. You have the ability to impress all humans with your brainpower. because you listened to this speech about oceans. If you were not then shame on you. I hope you enjoyed listening to my speech, thank you.

Thanks for reading

Peace

One thought on “Public Speaking #2

1. Wow! I sure learned a lot from this speech. I really like the way you laid it out. It grabbed my interest immediately. Well planned and coherent. Lots of good and interesting facts. I’m going to try to find a picture of the pacific football fish. Your audience must have really enjoyed hearing this. I sure liked it!